Monday 12 March 2018

Brewday 02/03/2018 IPA

Heritage Homebrew

For my next beer I decided to brew an old style English IPA. Not to a genuine heritage recipe but I took inspiration from my copy of The Homebrewer's Guide to Vintage Beer by Ron Pattison (whose blog "Shut up about Barclay Perkins" is great source of historical beery information) The 19th Century IPA recipes featured in the book aren't especially strong - around 5-6% abv - but are extremely bitter with IBU ratings in excess of 150 and hopping rates of up to 18g per litre. I didn't want to go for such a high level of bitterness so I used most hops as late addition and for dry hopping, with (high for me!) an overall hopping rate of 10g per litre. The IBU's are around 52 so still quite bitter. This brew was the first time I tried adjusting the water profile. One of my fellow local homebrewers gave me a water adjustment spreadsheet with our local water profile data from a recent report. After some messing about in Excel I ended up adding 6g of calcium chloride and 6g of Epsom salts to the mash, whether this will make any significant difference remains to be seen.

Recipe (BIAB)

  • Mash for 90 mins at 66°C
  • Boil for 60 mins
  • Mash water volume 28.5lt
  • Maris Otter 4.8kg
  • Wheat Malt 150g
  • Crystal Malt 45L 250g
  • Flaked Maize 250g
  • Northdown 7% 25g (60 mins)
  • Northdown 7% 25g (30 mins)
  • First Gold (homegrown) 25g whirlpool 75°C for 30 mins
  • Cluster 7% 25g whirlpool 75°C for 30 mins
  • First Gold (homegrown) 25g dry hop for 4 days
  • Cluster 7% dry hop for 4 days 
  • Nottingham Ale Yeast 11g pack pitched at 18°C
  • Recipe in Brewers Friend

Results 12/03/2018

I bottled this after 10 days fermentation
OG 1.057
FG 1.012
ABV 6%
Now I have to give it a few weeks to condition before I can taste it.

No comments:

Post a Comment