Friday 8 March 2019

Brewday 01/02/2019 - Rye Caramber!

Think of a name. Then brew the beer

I'd been meaning to brew another Rye beer for a bit so I checked through my ingredients to put together a recipe. I still had some amber malt which I used for the first time in the bitter I made in October, and which I thought added a distinct malty flavour to the beer, so I planned to combine this with some rye and crystal rye. This led me to come up with the name Rye Caramber (thank you Bart Simpson). Now all I had to do was brew the beer. As per usual I mashed in and went out to work, returning about four hours later. I also repeated my hop extract experiment with the Centennial hops, 20g in a cafetiere/French press with 750ml water at 70°C left to steep for 20 mins and added to the fermenter for the last three days of fermentation.


Recipe (BIAB)


  • Mash for 240 mins at 65°C
  • Boil for 60 mins
  • Mash water volume 28.2lt
  • Maris Otter 3.865kg
  • Wheat Malt 250g
  • Amber malt 300g
  • Crystal Malt 45L 135g
  • Rye Malt 500g
  • Crystal Rye 250g
  • Northdown 7% 20g (60 mins)
  • Northdown 7% 20g (15 mins)
  • Cascade (6.1%) 50g whirlpool 20 mins at 70°C
  • Cascade (6.1%) 50g dry hop for 3 days
  • Centennial (7%) 20g "hop extract" for 3 days
  • Fermentis Safale US05 11g pack pitched at 17°C
  • Recipe in Brewer's Friend

Results

OG: 1.058
FG: 1.010
ABV: 6.34%
IBU: 40

Wow! This is excellent. A big hoppy aroma, a nice spicy flavour from the rye but with a bit of sweetness and although it's quite bitter the high abv balances it well. I am very pleased with this. I love the flavour of rye, with the hop aroma and the alcohol this works really well.


No comments:

Post a Comment