Monday 27 February 2017

Pale Ale tasting

More Hard Work

Time to test the Pale Ale I brewed on February 7th. I suppose I should call this an American Pale Ale as it contains all American hops and was brewed to style type 18B (American Pale Ale) according to the Beer Judge Certification Program style guidelines. This is not something I've ever bothered about before but members of my local homebrew group are attempting to brew this style which will then be evaluated by a certified beer judge, so I have made the effort to brew the beer according to the parameters specified, which are:
OG 1.045 - 1.060
FG 1.010 - 1.015
ABV 4.5 - 6.2%
IBU's 30 - 50
SRM 5 - 10 

Fortunately this beer ticks all the boxes (according to Brewer's Friend and my hydrometer readings); 
OG 1.050
FG 1.011
ABV 5.1%
IBU's 46.3
SRM 8

Which is great, but more importantly does it taste good?

Short answer, yes!

The style guidelines state it should be "pale, refreshing and hoppy" which it is, but with a little bit of malty sweetness to balance the bitterness. It's also very clear.
I like this one, I may take more notice of style in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment