Friday 2 November 2018

Brewday - 05/10/2018 Best Bitter

Brewing Again, Finally!

For the first time since the end of May I have been able to brew some beer. The combination of an unusually hot summer and an unusually busy me meant home brewing was off the agenda for a few months. When the opportunity finally arose I decided to keep it simple and brew a nice easy-drinking best bitter. I fitted this brew-day around work which meant a long four hour mash in my recently insulated brewing pan. Despite the extended mash time the temperature only dropped by 1°C so I may try an overnight mash in the future. 

Recipe (BIAB)

  • Mash for 240 mins at 67°C
  • Boil for 60 mins
  • Mash water volume 30lt
  • Maris Otter 3.45kg
  • Wheat Malt 220g
  • Amber malt 200g
  • Crystal Malt 45L 80g
  • Flaked Maize 170g
  • Northdown 7% 25g (60 mins)
  • First Gold (homegrown) 40g (15 mins)
  • Crossmyloof Real Ale Yeast 11g pack pitched at 20°C
  • Recipe in Brewers Friend

Results 12/10/2018

I bottled this after 7 days fermentation
OG 1.043
FG 1.012
ABV 4%
IBU 39

First Taste 26/10/2018

I managed to wait for two weeks before tasting the beer, first impressions were very good. It's not aromatically hoppy but still quite bitter. There is a bit of residual sweetness and it has a nice nutty flavour, really just like a traditional English best bitter and very easy to drink at just 4% abv. All in all lovely stuff!




No comments:

Post a Comment